:::: MENU ::::

Friday 10 May 2013

Trixie Whitley Maps Out Second Album, Hints at More Black Dub

Trixie Whitley
Shervin Lainez


Having finished her debut album, "Fourth Corner," more than a year ago, Trixie Whitley says she's "really excited to move on to the next record."
"I'm working on a lot of new stuff," the daughter of the late singer-songwriter Chris Whitley and member of Daniel Lanois' Black Dub tells Billboard. "This'll be the first time I work on a second record, so it's new for me. I have some more really distinct ideas, but I'll need to go into a really concentrated writing period to get a real sense of what it's going to be. I'm planning on taking a few breaks from (touring) to just go somewhere and sit in the south of France for a couple of weeks and take all the writing I've done and really collect it and look at it."
Whitley predicts that her next project will "still kind of carry the same vision, sonically, but I'm excited to bring it up a notch to the next level, in a way. Hopefully that's where I'm headed."

Meanwhile, the Brooklyn-based Whitley is enjoying finally having an album out after four previous EPs (starting in 2008).
"It's an interesting experience," she says of the eclectic "Fourth Corner," which came out in late January. "It's wild because, yeah, this is my first real record, so in that way I do feel like, 'Oh, wow, there's still such a long way to go' in terms of record-making. But at the same time, I wish I felt almost more naive or fresh or something towards the record industry. There's a lot of pros and cons. I've mostly just tried to learn as much as possible and just observe everything that's going on around me, and also observe my own working progress and make the best out of it."
Whitley's current tour wraps up June 1 in San Francisco, and she'll be playing June 13 at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Tennessee. She then heads over to Europe for stops at the Pinkpop Festival in the Netherlands (June 16), the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland (July 6) and a return to her birthplace in Belgium for the Ghent Jazz Festival on July 20. She'll likely use the time between those shows to work on new material, but she's also holding out the possibility of a second Black Dub album -- a decision she says is totally in Lanois' court.
"He's kind of the man that would have to make the call on that," Whitley says. "But we saw each other a couple months ago, and he was kind of hinting at it. The possibility is definitely there. I think he knew I needed to spread my wings and do my own thing again, as Brian (Blades) did, too. Everybody wanted to focus on other stuff again, but I think we're all still interested in doing it. It was a very intense time. A lot of really great things came out of it, but I'm also kind of relieved in a way I could take a break from it, too, and do what I'm doing now."


The Best of Billboard Video:

0 التعليقات:

Post a Comment